SEARCH


Doughty doesn't see NHL season playing out

PUBLICATION
Colton Pankiw
April 13, 2020  (7:41 PM)
SHARE THIS STORY

It has been just over a month since the NHL announced it was suspending play due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Since then, there have been many rumours about when they may start up the season again. However, there has also been doubt from many people about whether the season will return at all.

L.A. Kings defenceman Drew Doughty is one of those people. He is one of the first big named NHL players to say he doubts the league will return this season.

“Honestly, I don't see how the season is going to return. I really don't.” Doughty said on a conference call Monday afternoon.

Despite there being optimism from league officials about the season resuming in the future, Doughty doesn't believe there will be any time to do so once this is all over with. Of course, one plan league officials have suggested is playing games in July and August, something the 30-year-old defenceman doesn't agree with.

“I think it'd be tough to do that,” said Doughty. “It would affect the next season. I know they so badly want to give out a Stanley Cup this year, but in all seriousness, it's not going to be like winning a real Stanley Cup because the (regular) season wasn't finished. There's teams that couldn't get in the playoffs. And then I'm assuming they'd have to come up with a different playoff format.”

“So, I don't know. It'd be a little different. I'm not a huge fan of it, as much as I want to play. I just don't want things to go into next season and affecting those.”

It should be mentioned that for Doughty's case, the Kings were well out of playoff contention prior to the season being suspended, so the season being cancelled wouldn't affect him and his teammates as much as others around the league. However, with the way things are transpiring, it is likely there are other NHL players who feel the same way.

Source: Chris Johnston (Sportsnet)

shownhl_10513_shownhl