With Montreal headed into a very important draft situation on July 7th, General Manager Kent Hughes took some questions from media Tuesday regarding the Canadiens' plans. Hughes said he's very open to trading picks for assets at the draft itself, although it's likely the team will hang on to the 1st overall selection. Hughes was also asked about the Habs' first-round pick from last year, chosen by his predecessor Marc Bergevin. Hughes made it clear Logan Mailloux
will not be signing with the Canadiens any time soon.
"No, no intention to negotiate a contract right now," said Hughes. "He's still in evaluation as a person not a player."
Mailloux was not invited to last year's training camp by Montreal and it looks very likely he won't be this year either. There's been plenty of speculation that Montreal would attempt to trade him, but that could prove to be difficult. The Canadiens have until 2025 to sign him, or let him walk as an unrestricted free agent.
Just before last year's draft, Mailloux admitted that he had been charged in Sweden with sharing photos of a sexual encounter with a girl without her consent. The sexual encounter was consensual and both were of age. However, Mailloux texted photos to a group chat that were leaked elsewhere. Mailloux asked not to be chosen at the 2021 draft, saying he needed more time to grow as a person. Bergevin selected him anyway with the 31st overall pick. The selection caused a ton of backlash and became nothing short of a PR nightmare for Montreal.
Mailloux was also suspended by the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) for his actions. He was on loan from the London Knights to a team in Sweden when the incident occurred. He would end up taking part in 12 regular season OHL games in 2021-22, scoring three goals and nine points.