SEARCH


Extension talks between Cubs, Baez put on hold due to COVID-19

PUBLICATION
James Tubb
May 6, 2020  (7:50 PM)
SHARE THIS STORY

The contract extension talks between the Chicago Cubs and All-Star shortstop Javier Baez have been put on hold due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The defensive superstar, Baez remains under team control through the 2021 campaign, has expressed his eagerness to get a deal done, but admitted that there isn't a rush.

"Obviously, we want to reach an agreement, but right now everything is on hiatus. Just like it happened with baseball, we decided to leave it there. We haven't talked about it anymore," Baez told Marly Rivera of ESPN.

The discussions surrounding a potential extension reportedly started back in November and have continued through the winter and into spring training.

Baez added that he is happy in Chicago and that all of the talks so far have been friendly. He sees a benefit in spending an entire career with one team, even if some of his baseball idols bounced around.

"It's a blessing when a player can wear the same uniform their whole life - but it's a business. For me, it's about loyalty. This is the team that has seen me grow up," Baez said. "Of course, many great players have played for many different teams in their careers. My favorite player, Manny Ramirez, has been on a lot of teams. Even though everyone identifies him with Boston, when he left, Manny was always Manny. That's how it'll be for me. I'll always be myself."

Over parts of six seasons with the Cubs, Baez has slashed a .270 batting average with 110 home runs, 354 RBIs, and 60 stolen bases. He was a part of the Cubs 2016 World Series team and the 27-year-old has come into his own over the last two seasons, earning consecutive All-Star appearances and finishing second in NL MVP voting in 2018.