SEARCH


Mats Zuccarello not happy with Rangers' treatment of Henrik Lundqvist

PUBLICATION
TJ Tucker
April 25, 2020  (12:04)
SHARE THIS STORY

While the two are no longer teammates, former New York Ranger and current Minnesota Wild Mats Zuccarello has some harsh criticism for his previous team on their handling of goaltender Henrik Lundqvist.

"It's disrespectful. He is starting to get older yes, and they have another good goalkeeper, but they could have let him play the matches [Igor] Shesterkin doesn't play," Zuccarello told VG, a media outlet in his home country of Norway.

"It is absolutely hair-raising that he is treated this way. Did anyone think this would happen to Henrik Lundqvist? No."

Lundqvist, 38, was once the backbone of the Rangers team. This season, with one more year left on his contract, he had been relegated to third-string netminder behind Shesterkin and Alexandar Georgiev before the NHL suspended play.

Zuccarello isn't just critical of the way the Rangers are handling Lundqvist, but expressed his displeasure for the way he was shipped out of New York as well.

"I never thought they would happen to me either," Zuccarello said. "In my eyes, I would have ended my career with the Rangers. I think Hank wanted that too. That everything would be fine and good, but then the management decides and you are not worth a s--t."

After signing with the Rangers as a free agent in 2010, Zucarrello was traded at the deadline to the Dallas Star in 2019. In the offseason, he signed a five-year contract with the Minnesota Wild.

Source: Aftonbladet.se