SEARCH


Former Sabres owner blasts Pegulas for firings amid pandemic

PUBLICATION
TJ Tucker
April 18, 2020  (3:20 PM)
SHARE THIS STORY

Larry Quinn, a former owner and President of the Buffalo Sabres, is not holding back while talking about recent firings made by current owners Terry and Kim Pegula of PSE.

"As you've noticed, I have not made a single comment about the Sabres since we left. I have practiced that religiously,” Quinn told The Athletic by phone Friday. “But this is – I just don't understand. It's just wrong.”

As we reported here, PSE fired 21 executives earlier this week and furloughed another 104. Among those were three long-time employees, John Sinclair, the vice president of tickets and service; Chris Bandura, the vice president of communications; and Jennifer Van Rysdam, the vice president of live events.

“If I had to name all the people that worked for us, the three I admired most would be those three,” said Quinn.

"The way they've been treated, you don't take a 32-year employee and say goodbye and give him two weeks of health insurance – not in the middle of a pandemic,” Quinn said. “You just don't do that. I just don't get it.

“There's something wrong. I don't know what it is. I know there's challenges in the business, and I understand that people from time to time have to make economic choices. But you treat the people well that have worked for you for a long time if you've got to part ways, and I just don't get it.”

PSE stated the firings were necessary from an economic standpoint.