SEARCH


Torey Krug hopeful he hasn't played his last game as a Bruin

PUBLICATION
TJ Tucker
April 7, 2020  (1:36 PM)
SHARE THIS STORY

If and when the NHL returns to finish the 2019-20 season, one of the big questions that will need to be addressed is what happens to those players set to become unrestricted free agents on July 1st. One of those is Boston Bruins defenseman Torey Krug who participated in a conference call with reporters on Tuesday.

"I really hope I did not play my last game as a Boston Bruin," said Krug. "In terms of clarity, there's pretty much been none."

What he means by that is there have been no talks between Krug and the Bruins regarding a possible contract extension since the league suspended play on March 12th. Despite that, he told reporters that he's hopeful Boston will get an opportunity to play for the Stanley Cup this year.

"As long as everyone's in a situation where the playing field is level and we're able to compete for a Stanley Cup, that's our ultimate goal."

Krug is in the final year of a four-year contract that paid him $5.25 million per season. As it stands right now, Boston has less than a million dollars in cap space, although there are others becoming UFAs at the end of the season. That list includes Zdeno Chara and Jaroslav Halak. Krug had been having an excellent season before the league shut down, with nine goals and 40 assists for 49 points in 61 games. Unless he's willing to take a discount to re-sign with the Bruins, it stands to reason that the 28-year-old is in line for a raise.